I finally got frustrated with a blocking build issue I have no control over today, so I switched over and dusted off the Worst 3D Printer code.
Hmm, that title got a little long…
When I decided to take the challenge to program the worst, yet functional, 3D printer, I wanted it to be as simple as possible. With 4 kids and a full time job, I just don’t have much time for side projects. So wherever I could cut a corner or use an existing tool, I looked for it.
This all started as a joke. One day I was chatting with a coworker who owns a 3D extrusion printer (a Makerbot I think). I mentioned what a bad idea it would be to use a stack of paper and just cut out each layer to make a 3D “print”. We laughed about it, but then I got to thinking.